Toyota Prius Owners Manual
Theft deterrent system
To deter vehicle theft, the system isdesigned to sound an alarm if any ofthe doors or hood is forcibly unlockedor the battery terminal is reconnectedwhen the vehicle is locked.
The alarm blows the horn intermittentlyand flashes the headlights and tail lightsand other exterior lights.
This function can be deactivated or activated.For details, contact your Toyotadealer.
SETTING THE SYSTEM
When the key is inserted into the keyslot:
1. Remove the key.
In case of the smart entry and startsystem:
1. Stop the hybrid system and open thedriver’s door.
The indicator light will start flashing. (See“Hybrid vehicle immobilizer system” onpage 21 for details.)
2. Have all passengers get out of thevehicle.
3. Close and lock all the doors and hood.The indicator light will come on when allthe doors and hood are closed andlocked.
The system will automatically be set after30 seconds. When the system is set, theindicator light will start flashing again.
4. After making sure the indicator lightstarts flashing, you may leave the vehicle.
Never leave anyone in the vehicle whenyou set the system, because unlockingfrom the inside will activate the system.
WHEN THE SYSTEM IS SET
Activating the system
The system will sound the alarm underthe following conditions:
- If any of the doors is unlocked or ifthe hood is forcibly opened without themechanical key, wireless remote controltransmitter or smart function.
- If the battery terminal is disconnectedand then reconnected.
The indicator light will come on when thesystem is activated.
If any of the doors are unlocked withoutthe mechanical key, wireless remote controltransmitter or smart function and thekey is not in the key slot, all the doorswill be automatically locked again.
After 1 minute, the alarm will automaticallystop and the indicator light will startsflashing again.
Reactivating the alarm
Once set, the system automatically resetsthe alarm after the alarm stops.
The alarm will activate again under thesame circumstances described in“Activating the system”.
Stopping the alarm
The alarm will be stopped by the followingtwo ways:
- Turn the hybrid system to “IG−ON”.
- Unlock any of the doors with the mechanicalkey, wireless remote controltransmitter or smart function.
If the 12 volt battery becomes dischargeddue to the vehicle being unused for a longtime, etc., when the battery is rechargedor replaced, the system will sound thealarm. If this happens, immediately stopthe alarm.
CANCELING THE SYSTEM
The system will be cancelled by theabove mentioned two ways.
If the tail lights come on for 2 seconds,the theft deterrent system has beenalarmed. Check to see if there is anyabnormality on your vehicle.
TESTING THE SYSTEM
1. Open all the windows.
2. Set the system as described above.The doors should be locked with themechanical key, wireless remote controltransmitter or smart function. Be sureto wait until the indicator light goes offor starts flashing.
3. Unlock any door from the inside. Thesystem should activate the alarm.
4. Stop the alarm as described above.
5. Repeat this operation for the otherdoors and hood. When testing the backdoor, also check that the system isactivated when the 12 volt battery terminalis disconnected and then reconnected.When testing the hood, releasethe lock with the hood lock releaselever and raise the hood.
If the system does not work properly,have it checked by your Toyota dealer.