Toyota Prius Owners Manual
1. Master keys with silver ornament (Vehiclesequipped with smart entry andstart system)—These keys work in everylock. Your Toyota dealer will needone of them to make a new key witha built−in transponder chip. Before youuse these keys, be sure to read “Smartentry and start system” on page 24.
2. Master keys without silver ornament(Vehicles not equipped with smart entryand start system)—These keys work inevery lock. Your Toyota dealer willneed one of them to make a new keywith a built−in transponder chip.
3. Mechanical keys (attached to the masterkeys)—These key work for the driver’sdoor only.
USING A MECHANICAL KEY
When you use the mechanical key includedon the side of the key, slide thelock knob in the arrow direction and takeout the key as shown. To put the keyback, slide the lock knob in the arrowdirection and replace the key. Be sure toput the key back when not in use.
Since the doors can be locked without akey, you should always carry a sparemaster key in case you accidentally lockyour keys inside the vehicle.
People with implanted pacemakersor cardiac defibrillators should keepaway from the smart entry and startsystem antennas, because the radiowaves may affect the operation ofsuch devices. For the antenna locations,see “ANTENNA LOCATIONS”on page 26.
Users of any electrical medical deviceother than implanted pacemakersand implanted cardiac defibrillatorsshould consult the manufacturerof the device for informationabout its operation under the influenceof radio waves. Radio wavescould have unexpected effects onthe operation of such medical devices.
If necessary, the smart function canbe disabled. See “DEACTIVATINGTHE SMART FUNCTION” on page34.
When using a key containing a transponderchip, observe the followingprecautions:
- Do not affix any material that cutsoff electromagnetic waves (such asa metal seal) on the key.
- Do not knock the key hard againstother objects.
- Do not leave the key exposed tohigh temperatures for a long period,such as on the dashboard or hoodunder direct sunlight.
- Do not put the key in water orwash it in an ultrasonic washer.
- Do not keep the key together withthe products emitting electromagneticwaves such as a cellularphone.
KEY NUMBER PLATE
Your key number is shown on the plate.Keep the plate in a safe place such asyour wallet, not in the vehicle.
If you should lose your keys or if youneed additional keys, duplicates can bemade by a Toyota dealer using the keynumber.
We recommend writing down the key numberand storing it in a safe place.