Toyota Prius Owners Manual
Fuel tank cap
This indicates that the fuel filler dooris on the left side of your vehicle.
1. To open the fuel filler door, pull thelever up.
When refueling, turn off the hybridsystem.
- Do not smoke, cause spark or allowopen flames when refueling. Thefumes are flammable.
- When opening the cap, do not removethe cap quickly. In hot weather,fuel under pressure could causeinjury by spraying out the fillerneck if the cap is suddenly removed.
- Do not fuel additionally after initialauto−stop filling up, or fuel maysplash out.
2. To remove the fuel tank cap, turnthe cap counterclockwise by 90 degrees(to the pressure point 1), andthen turn it a additional 30 degrees(to point 2). Pause slightly beforeremoving it.
It is not unusual to hear a slight swooshwhen the cap is opened.
3. The removed cap can be stored onthe back side of the fuel filler door.
Position the cap so that the hooks pointto the left and right, and set it in thereceptacle on the back side of the door.
When installing the cap, turn the capclockwise until you hear a click. Whenyou hear the click, the cap is fullyclosed.
If the cap is not tightened securely, themalfunction indicator lamp comes on.Make sure the cap is tightened securely.
The indicator lamp goes off after drivingseveral times. If the indicator lamp doesnot go off, contact your Toyota dealer assoon as possible.
Make sure the cap is installed securelyto prevent fuel spillage inthe event of an accident.
Use only a genuine Toyota fuel tankcap for replacement. It is designedto regulate fuel tank pressure.
To prevent damage to the cap, applyforce only in the turning direction tothe cap. Do not pull or pry it.