Toyota Prius Owners Manual
Three−way catalytic converters
The three−way catalytic converters areemission control devices installed inthe exhaust system.
Its purpose is to reduce pollutants in theexhaust gas.
Keep people and combustible materialsaway from the exhaust pipewhile the engine is running. Theexhaust gas is very hot.
Do not drive, idle or park your vehicleover anything that might burneasily such as grass, leaves, paperor rags.
A large amount of unburned gasesflowing into the three−way catalyticconverter may cause it to overheatand create a fire hazard. To preventthis and other damage, observe thefollowing precautions:
- Use only unleaded gasoline.
- Do not drive with an extremely lowfuel level; running out of fuel couldcause the engine to misfire, creatingan excessive load on the three−way catalytic converter.
- Do not turn off the ignition whilethe vehicle is moving.
- Keep your engine in good runningorder. Malfunctions in the engineelectrical system, electronic ignitionsystem/distributor ignition systemor fuel system could cause an extremelyhigh temperature.
- If the engine becomes difficult tostart or stalls frequently, take yourvehicle in for a check−up as soonas possible. Remember, your Toyotadealer knows your vehicle and itsthree−way catalytic converter systembest.
- To ensure that the three−way catalyticconverter and the entire emissioncontrol system operate properly,your vehicle must receive theperiodic inspections required by theToyota Maintenance Schedule. Forscheduled maintenance information,refer to the “Scheduled MaintenanceGuide” or “Owner’s Manual Supplement”.